Paul Fisher has resolved many hundreds of disputes as Mediator since 1985, and has heard hundreds of cases as Arbitrator since 1978. Paul has been a full time mediator since 1991. Previously, he was in a litigation practice specializing in complex real estate, business and construction disputes.
He is an adjunct professor of law at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University. Paul was named to the Distinguished Panel of Neutrals of New York’s CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution. He has received the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Award for Case of the Year.
Paul is a nationally published author, and frequent speaker at the national level. He is Co-Vice Chair of the ABA Trust and Fiduciary Litigation Committee and immediate past Co-Chair of the ABA Committee on Emotional and Psychological Issues in Estate Planning. He has been selected as a Southern California Super Lawyer in the area of dispute resolution from 2007 through 2014.
Paul has a special talent for highly emotionally driven disputes and managing high conflict personality parties and their attorneys. These difficult personality types (histrionic, narcissistic, borderline and antisocial) drive disputes more than the perceived “facts” and “the law” do and can be managed.
Legal Career & Prior Experience ►
- Distinguished Panel of Neutrals, CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution
- International Academy of Mediators – Harvard conference 2006, discussion leader
- Special Master, U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Mediator, Los Angeles Superior Court – Probate
- 1971-1991 litigation practice specializing in complex real estate, business and construction
Professional Affiliations & Education ►
- Licensed to practice law before the Supreme Court of the United States and the Supreme Court of California, U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution, Masters Forum, participant and session leader
- International Academy of Mediators – Harvard conference 2006, discussion leader.
- CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, Distinguished Panel of Neutrals and conferences participant
- Immediate Past Co-Chair ABA Committee on Emotional and Psychological Issues in Estate Planning
- Co-Vice-Chair ABA Probate and Fiduciary Litigation Committee
- State Bar of California, Trust & Estate Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Trust & Estate Section
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Trust & Estate Section
- Juris Doctor, University of San Diego, School of Law, 1969
- Bachelor of Arts, California State University, Northridge, 1966
ADR Specialization ►
- Highly Emotionally Driven Disputes and Disputes Involving High Conflict Personality Parties
- Trusts, Estates, Probate, Conservatorships, and Financial Elder Abuse
- Complex Real Property / Real Estate
- Complex Business, including business and family business dissolution and restructuring.
- Construction Defect
- Insurance coverage
Adjunct professor of law, 2002 – 2012, The Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University. Guest lecturer at Loyola Law School. Paul has served as faculty in innumerable ADR programs before Bar Associations, law firms, Estate Planning Councils, Annual Arbitration/Mediation Day Conferences, and the American Arbitration Association.